How to Protect and Preserve Your Tableware for Years to Come
by Simply Chef on Jan 10, 2023
Your tableware is an essential part of your home, and it's important to take good care of it to keep it looking beautiful and lasting for years to come. Whether you have a set of fine china, everyday dishes, or a mix of both, proper care and maintenance are key to keeping your tableware in top condition.
In this blog post, we'll provide some tips on how to care for your tableware to keep it looking its best.
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions: The first step in caring for your tableware is to follow the manufacturer's instructions. Different materials and finishes require different types of care, and the manufacturer's recommendations will ensure that you're using the correct techniques to keep your tableware in the best condition possible.
- Hand wash fine china and crystal: Fine china and crystal should always be hand washed to avoid damaging the delicate material. Use a mild detergent and a soft sponge or brush to gently clean the surface, and be sure to rinse thoroughly to remove all soap residue. Avoid using abrasive sponges or steel wool, as these can scratch the surface.
- Use the correct temperature of water: The temperature of the water you use to wash your tableware can also make a difference in how well it cleans. For fine china and crystal, use lukewarm water, as hot water can cause these materials to expand and become more prone to breaking. For everyday dishes, you can use hotter water to help loosen stuck-on food.
- Dry thoroughly: After washing your tableware, be sure to dry it thoroughly to prevent water spots and streaks. You can use a soft, lint-free cloth or let the dishes air dry. If you're drying fine china or crystal by hand, be sure to hold the pieces by the stem or handle to avoid fingerprints on the surface.
- Store properly: Proper storage is important to keep your tableware in good condition. Fine china and crystal should be stored in a dry place, away from direct sunlight and heat sources. Stack plates and bowls on their edges to prevent scratches and chips, and use plate separators or paper towels to prevent them from rubbing against each other. Utensils and glasses should also be stored in a dry place and kept away from heat sources.
- Use a gentle detergent: When washing your tableware, it's important to use a gentle detergent that is specifically formulated for dishware. Avoid using harsh or abrasive cleaners, as these can damage the surface of your dishes.
- Avoid using abrasive sponges: To avoid scratching the surface of your tableware, use a soft sponge or brush when washing. Avoid using steel wool or abrasive sponges, as these can leave scratches that are difficult to remove.
- Use a soft cloth for drying: When drying your tableware, use a soft, lint-free cloth to avoid leaving lint or streaks on the surface.
- Avoid stacking damp dishes: When storing your tableware, be sure to let it dry completely before stacking it to prevent the growth of bacteria and mould.
- Repair chips and cracks promptly: If you notice any chips or cracks in your tableware, it's important to repair them promptly to prevent further damage. Fine china and crystal can often be repaired by a professional, while everyday dishes can often be repaired with a strong glue or epoxy.
Overall, proper care and maintenance of your tableware is essential to keep it looking its best and lasting for years to come. By following these tips, you'll be able to enjoy your tableware for many occasions to come.